What is liposuction? Liposuction, also called suction assisted lipectomy or SAL, is the removal of fat, facilitated by suction. A cannula is inserted through a small incision often hidden in a skin fold. I like to protect the skin along the edges of the incisions by inserting a protective sleeve first. This prevents the cannula from rubbing on the skin. This way, the incision heals more quickly, and with a better scar.
Disproportionate, or localized accumulations of fat, can be targeted. The areas of fat deposits are selective removed with the use of gentle suction. It is not a good way to lose weight; however, it can remove the stubborn fat that won’t go away with regular diet and exercise. The use of a wetting solution, or tumescent liposuction, facilitates the selective removal of the fat, while minimizing bruising and discomfort.
I recently had the opportunity to discuss liposuction on KRON‘s Body Beautiful with host Vicki Liviakis. It was a half hour broadcast, so I have divided the liposuction video into four segments. The first lipo video segment is in this post. Links to the other three parts will go live over the next few weeks and can be found below.
Liposuction Video Presentation
If you have questions about liposuction, I would be happy to answer them. Additional general information is available on the Liposuction Page of DrMele.com. Feel free to use the contact form to the left, or call my Walnut Creek Plastic Surgery office at (925) 943-6353 for additional information. Please do not call the 800 number in the video. This was used for viewers to call in and ask questions during the live broadcast.
Questions Answered In This Liposuction Video
This segment on Liposuction covers:
- How many people have liposuction in the US every year?
- Can Liposuction substitute for a proper diet and exercise?
- What advantage does Liposuction have over diet and exercise?
- How do I get rid of the stubborn fat that won’t go away no matter how much I diet and exercise?
- What is the difference between dry liposuction and wet liposuction techniques?
- What is the difference between super wet liposuction and tumescent liposuction?
The other segments of this broadcast can be found here:
- Introduction – What’s New in Liposuction San Francisco?
- Liposuction – What Is It? Who Can Benefit? (Part 1 of 4) (You are here.)
- Liposuction – Lipo versus Surgery (Part 2 of 4)
- Liposuction – How to Get Safe Predictable Smart Liposuction (Part 3 of 4)
- Liposuction – The Future of Liposuction (Part 4 of 4)
Additional Videos about Liposuction
- NBC Living Well appearance discussing Mommy Makeovers
- Is Liposuction a substitute for a mini or full Tummy Tuck?
- Before and After pictures of Liposuction, Mini Tummy Tuck and Full Tummy Tuck
- Previous KRON Body Beautiful Appearance discussing Liposuction – Part 1 of 2
- Previous KRON Body Beautiful Appearance discussing Liposuction – Part 2 of 2
- List of all blog entries discussing Liposuction?