Breast augmentation remains one of the most frequently performed cosmetic plastic surgery procedures. The question of when to incorporate a breast lift is often discussed during the initial consultation appointment. The combination of a breast lift with breast augmentation is termed augmentation mastopexy. The word augmentation indicates that we a enlarging the breasts, while the word mastopexy means breast lift.
Breast lifts are indicated when the breast sags past the fold under the breast. This fold is called the inframammary fold or IMF for short. Breast lifts are also performed to reposition the nipple higher on the breast. Usually raising both the nipple and the breast are needed.
For breast that have always been small, there is less sagging, and a breast lift is not usually necessary. If the breasts have deflated, but have not dropped, then breast augmentation alone is usually be enough. When the nipples are above the IMF, and the breast tissue is below the IMF this is termed pseudoptosis, or fake sagging. If the goal is to increase the bust size, pseudoptosis can often be corrected with breast augmentation alone.
When there is true sagging, coupled with a desire to increase the size of the breast, then the combination of a breast lift with breast implants is one of the most useful combinations available. The series of videos that follow discuss breast augmentation and breast lifts. There are many variations and combinations of the procedures, so the information here is kept in general terms.
This is segment one of four from a recent airing of KRON’s Body Beautiful with Vicki Liviakis. The 800 number shown was for the live broadcast, so if you have questions please call my office directly at (925) 943-6353, or use the contact form to the left. Additional information can also be obtained from the links at the end of this article.
This episode includes:
- Breast Augmentation vs. Breast Lift or the combination Augmentation Mastopexy.
- When is Breast Augmentation alone enough?
- What causes the breasts to sag (Breast Ptosis)?
- How do plastic surgeons define breast ptosis (sagging)?
- What is corrected with a Breast Lift (Mastopexy)?
- How does a Breast Lift affect nipple position?
- How does a Breast Lift affect the breast mound?
- How does a Breast Lift affect the breast skin?
- How is Breast Augmentation performed?
- What is the recovery after a Breast Lift?
- What is the recovery after a Breast Augmentation?
- Breast feeding after Breast Augmentation and Breast Lifts.
If you are interested in learning what specific treatment will work best for you, a personal consultation appointment would be the best way to find out. A Board Certified Plastic Surgeon can help define your goals and tailor the treatment to best achieve the results you desire. To schedule your consultation, please call (925) 943-6353.
Additional information on Breast Augmentation and Breast Lifts can be found here:
Other parts of this broadcast can be found here:
- Breast Lifts and Breast Implants Bay Area – Part 1 of 4 (You are here.)
- Breast Lifts and Breast Implants Bay Area – Part 2 of 4
- Breast Lifts and Breast Implants Bay Area – Part 3 of 4
- Breast Lifts and Breast Implants Bay Area – Part 4 of 4