Thank You Veterans
Tomorrow is Memorial Day. While it is the unofficial first weekend of summer, it is also our chance to celebrate those who have died in the service of our country. Memorial Day was originally celebrated as Decoration Day on April 25, 1866, in Columbus, Mississippi, to honor Confederate soldiers killed at the Battle of Shiloh. In 1868, Decoration Day was observed at Arlington Cemetery with flowers and small American flags placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers. Since then, the honor has been extended to all those who died defending the United States, and Freedom, during World Wars I & II, The Korean Conflict, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan and throughout the world.
Lafayette Hillside Memorial
The picture above is a section of the Lafayette Hillside Memorial. The memorial was established in 2006 for soldiers who gave their lives in the Iraq War. A vigil we be held in their honor tomorrow night at 7 PM.
Memorial Day Observances
If you are looking for someplace to observe Memorial Day and give your thanks, here is a listing of some of the activities that are happening in our area:
- Antioch – VFW program, Oak View Memorial Park, 2500 E. 18th St., Antioch, 11:00 AM
- Brentwood – VFW local 10789 program, Brentwood Union Cemetery District, 11545 Brentwood Blvd., Brentwood, 10:00 AM
- Clayton – Annual Memorial Day Program by VFW Post 1525, Downtown Clayton Flagpole, Main and Oak Street, Clayton, 10:00 AM
- Martinez – All Veterans Memorial – Corner of Alhambra Ave and Berrellesa St, Martinez, 10:00 AM
- Pinole – VFW, Fernandez Park, 595 Tennent Ave. Pinole, 10:00 AM
- Pittsburg – Pittsburg Veterans Memorial, Harbor Street, Pittsburg, 10:00 AM
- Walnut Creek — Gazebo at Walnut Creek Civic Center, Corner of Civic Drive and North Broadway, Walnut Creek, 10:00 AM
- Danville – Vietnam Veterans of Diablo Valley , Memorial Day Ceremony, Oak Hill Park, 3005 Stone Valley Road, Danville, 10:30 AM
- Pleasant Hill – Contra Costa Veterans Monument, Corner of Boyd and Contra Costa, Pleasant Hill, 1:00 PM
- Lafayette – Lafayette Crosses (pictured above), Corner of Deer Hill and Oak Hill Road, Lafayette, Across from Lafayette BART station, Vigil at 7:00 PM