Botulinum Toxin remains the number one non-surgical cosmetic treatment year after year. In 2014, 3,588,218 neuromodulating wrinkle treatments were reported by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery alone. Botulinum Toxin Treatments were more popular than the next four nonsurgical beauty treatments combined:
The Top Five Nonsurgical Cosmetic Procedures
- Botulinum Toxin (Botox, Dysport, Xeomin, Myobloc) – 3,588,218
- Hyaluronic Acid (Restylane, Juvederm, Perlane, etc…) – 1,696,621
- Hair Removal (Laser or Pulsed Light) – 828,480
- Chemical Peel (TCA, Phenol) – 484,053
- Microdermabrasion – 417,034
When I say, “Counterfeit Botox,” I am not talking about competitive brands of FDA approved Botulinum Toxin. Botox was the first to market in the US, while Dysport was the first to market in Europe. Both are FDA approved, as are two others:
- Botox® (onabotulinumtoxinA)
- Dysport® (abobotulinumtoxinA
- Xeomin® (incobotulinumtoxinA)
- Myobloc® (rimabotulinumtoxinB)
FDA Approved Botulinum Toxin – What’s The Difference?
There is a big difference between FDA approved Botulinum Toxin and everything else fraudulently making the claim. The approved drugs are deemed safe and effective when administered in the prescribed fashion by a qualified and experienced injector. These drugs have been tested, and are manufactured under the supervision of the FDA. Their factories are open to surprise inspection at any time, and the distribution can be stopped when problems are found.
Counterfeit Botulinum Toxin on the other hand, is not manufactured with the same quality controls. It may not contain any Botulinum Toxin, and when it does, the dosing can range from ineffective to lethal.
How to Avoid Counterfeit Botox
You get what you pay for, and beauty is not cheap. If an offer seems too good to be true, it’s most likely false. It takes experience to become a good injector, so look for an established practice with experienced injectors. Ask questions:
- How many Botox injections do you do a month?
- How long have you been performing Botox injections?
- What is your training?
- Can I see the bottle? (for Botox look for the Allergan hologram)
- How long between mixing the Botox and Administration?
Reputable doctors will be happy to explain. Grumpy or evasive responses are a red flag.
Wrinkle Ridding Consultations
As a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, I perform everything from Botox to Facelifts. Botox is usually performed in the office on the third Wednesday of each month. It’s a busy day, but it allows me to use Botox or Dysport within a few hours of mixing, so nothing gets stale. If you are interested in Botox, Fillers or Surgical Correction of Facial Wrinkles, give me call at (925) 943-6353. More Plastic Surgery Information is available on our newly revamped and mobile friendly web site: DrMele.com.Previous Post Next Post